Session 1 of Incredible Years for Teachers (IYT) kicked off.
In an impulsive act, I'd volunteered our school to go first to open and close the session. My rationale for doing this was that I like to set the benchmark, rather than trying to live up to other peoples preconceptions. That's my theory anyhow!
During the session, some key gold nuggets emerged:
- "2 for 10" - 2 minutes of 1:1 with an individual child for ten days in a row.
- Instead of asking for hands up... hands on chest with a thumbs up (or one digit for each idea they have). It's non confrontational, low key and doesn't interrupt thinking or opting out.
- Dialling "0197" then the phone number when making a phone call ensures that your number remains private.
My To Do List:
- A weekly phone call home to one student (or more) sharing a positive for that week.
- Consolidate "hub rules" rather than each classes individual ones, to ensure and cement a united front within the collaborative space.
- Behaviour Plan... I need to begin to put the strategies in place.
- Ask for feelings to be added to our "Kei te pehea koe?" kupu bank, on the wall which the akonga use for roll call.
Teacher has personalised handshake with every single one of his students